Quick visit...

We made an unexpected, quick trip to Seattle over the weekend. My grandfather has been in the hospital this past week for some monitoring/diagnosing of unexplained catatonic episodes. (Boy that was a mouthful :S Saturday (29th) my Aunt Audry and Grandma found him in the bathroom, standing rigid in front of the bathroom mirror, eyes open but unresponsive...he came out of it about an hour later, they took him to the hospital, kept him for a few days, sent him home~didn't know what it was, perhaps a seizure. Went in for a checkup on Wed., everything was fine, and then on the way home, the same thing happened again, so back to the hospital where he still is. They've finally ruled out seizures, found a medication that seems to bring him out of the catatonic state within a few minutes had a great afternoon yesterday, but now today he is in the CCU because he is unable to stand up without going catatonic. They think now it's something in his stomach?

Anyhow, at one point in time, Grandpa had asked where his grandkids were and wanted to see us. Not knowing what his health issues would determine, I loaded up the kids and headed up to visit. When we first arrived at the hospital Sat. night, he was especially grumpy. Had an "episode", came out of it, then was more himself. Kaylee was worried when I'd explained that Grandpa was in the hospital again. She drew him a picture and was so pleased to get a smile from him. For a few minutes he was my Grandpa. Sunday morning he was having more "episodes", he didn't remember that we'd come the night before, or why he was there, or that he'd been "out". He just kept coming in and out of the catatonic states...when he was more alert he would shake hands with us, smile, stretch....

In the past Grandpa doesn't always remember who I am, this trip was the same except he said he recognized me but didn't know my name...regardless I remember who he is and love him for all that he has done. For the times he would grab us with his ultra strong toes and give a huge pinch, for the yummy treats he would make us (taro dumplings: wu gok; almond cookies; tong yuen;) the walks we would go on; going out to eat in China Town....so many memories...I don't know what the future will bring, but I'm glad we went for the visit...

Grandma seems to be doing well...I put in a few pictures of her eating oatmeal. Brenda says she'll eat an entire HUGE bowl at night sometimes...

Comments

Winnie said…
Evie and I will be in seattle on Wed till Sunday. I hope grandpa gets better.
Taunya said…
I'm so glad you were able to go up to Seattle this past weekend, even if it was w/o Michael. Sounds like you have some great memories with your grandpa. Family is everything.